Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How To Poach an Egg


Whenever Matt and I have the morning off together, and have a little extra time, we usually try and eat something other than oatmeal or pizza toast (don't judge, it's still toast) for breakfast.  Just this morning, Matt made me huevos nachos.  A cross between huevos rancheros and nachos, huevos nachos is two poached eggs on top of...  Well, nachos.  Sounds tasty?  It is.  Sounds horrible for your waistline?  Maybe...  A little?

Me standing on my soap box...

As with most of the food I post on this blog, the recipes feature a combination of healthy and natural ingredients mixed in with a little guilty pleasure.  I would prefer not to eat boiled eggs and dry toast for the rest of my life but I do believe in eating with the purpose of fueling my body.  In general, Matt and I don't use a lot of convenience products and we try not to keep junk food around.  When we cook, we use vegetables, whole grains, real stock (no msg) and products made from ingredients that are naturally found on this earth.  Of course, we use butter, cream and cheese as well...  That's the part of the meal that fuels the soul (and contains calcium!) which, I feel, is just as important as taking care of the physical body.

I firmly believe that if we removed 100 calorie snack packs and low-fat frozen meals from our diets and replaced those items with natural, wholesome food that had to be prepared in order to eat it, people would live healthier, happier lives.  But...  That's just my take on things.  I don't claim to be right (I also don't claim to be perfect...  Ever see a person eat an entire box of Cheez-Its before?), I just wanted to explain a little of what this blog is about. 

Stepping off the soap box...

Okay.  Sorry about that.  Back to poached eggs.

Poaching eggs used to intimidate me.  There seemed to be so many factors that could result in a poorly poached egg...  But it's really quite easy.  And, of course, budget friendly!


Here's what you need to know:

  • You need a pot that is large enough to ensure that the eggs will be completely submerged in water and that there will be enough room so they are not sitting on top of each other.
  • The temperature of the water needs to be between 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit, but you don't need a thermometer. Bring the water to a boil and then lower the temperature to below a simmer (occasional bubbles rising to the surface).
  • The water should contain some acid so the whites coagulate nicely- About a tablespoon of vinegar will be good.
  • When dropping the eggs into the water, first crack into a ramekin (or small bowl) and gently slide the egg into the water, one at a time.
  • Place a lid on the pot, turn off heat, and leave the eggs undisturbed for 3 minutes (this will create a firm white and runny yolk).
  • Gently remove the egg using a slotted spoon (or spatula because that's all I have) and blot dry on paper towel.

Gently drop egg into water.  Notice...  There are barely any bubbles rising to the surface.
    ***
     A pot this size is perfect for about two eggs.  Slide them in one at a time.
    ***
    Once both eggs are in the water, cover with a lid and set your timer for 3 minutes.
    ***
     Once the timer goes off, remove eggs from the water and blot dry on paper towel.
     ***
    Season with salt and pepper and serve with toast, on top of nachos or in this case... 
    With roasted potatoes, fresh tomatoes, green onions and a little horseradish sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. These look SO good. Seriously good. I never had any idea how to poach an egg before. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete